Thursday, July 5, 2012

Dear Summer,

Oh Summer, you are a new friend who I'm just warming up to. No matter that you have made an appearance each of my thirty six years, I'm hard to get to know. You warm up to me every year, but it has taken me all this time to start to enjoy your company. I'm sure as a child I didn't mind your heat, there was a pool or a sprinkler to run through. If only I lived closer to a swimming hole these days, I would call you my best friend. In the mean time I will hang out with you and do my best to live in the moment, enjoying the fruits of our labor.

I have no more illusions of doing "work" in the garden, now it is just maintaining and keeping things alive with water, love and a little bit of organic fertilizer.

Basil
 Summer in the back yard

Habaneros for salsa and maybe a Spicy Grapefruit Margarita? Summer in the back yard

 Flame acanthus for the butterflies, hummingbirds and my enjoyment. Summer in the back yard

Mint for my tea, Vietnamese food and maybe a Mojito?
 Summer in the back yard

Bees to pollinate
 Summer in the back yard

 Zinnia Volunteers
 Summer in the back yard

 I think this one is a cross of a green and pink. I need to save the seeds. Summer in the back yard

And Zinnia seedlings thriving!
 Summer in the back yard

To help us enjoy summer even more I need to order Popsicle molds, and a new blender part so that we can enjoy some cold drinks. I'm off today with a long to do list, including figuring out what to do with those peaches. I hope you had a nice holiday and that the rest of your week goes by quickly. 

Happy Summer!
Ashley

No comments: