Tuesday, January 31, 2012

My first handknit

I finished my first real hand knit item.
I'm not counting my washcloth or two that were made for practice.
I really feel like I have the hang of it and am so pleased. 
 I'm trying not to be overly confident and take on a bigger project than I can handle.  That's difficult because I see so many patterns that I would like to make.  I browsed through 5 or 6 knitting magazines at the bookstore this evening and resisted the urge to bring any of them home.
I'm slightly obsessive, I think that has been established here.

Totally off subject, but look how green my eyes look next to this teal scarf.
Hand knit scarf

I had seen scarves like this around, and there are quite a few patterns.  Pattern and details are here on my ravelry page.  I think the pattern I chose is pretty vague and I'm all the more impressed that I pulled this off!

Hand knit scarf

Even as a beginning knitter I think it is faster than crochet.  I actually had this finished last week, but couldn't find a yarn needle to weave in the ends. I could have been done much faster but just worked on it here and there. There are also tons more patterns available for knitting and it uses less yarn that crochet. I am not saying that I won't crochet anymore, I will. 

Yay me for conquering my fear of knitting and sticking to my resolution to learn. 
I will be knitting for years to come, I'm sure of it.

2 comments:

penelope said...

i'm totally counting my washcloth because i use it every day! and it's fantastic!

Connie Akers said...

That's a great picture and I noticed how green your eyes look before you mentioned it. Great scarf too. Congratulations.