Friday, October 9, 2015

Feeling Clever in my Alice Top

I purchased a piece of Anna Maria Horner's Loominous in Austin when we were there for Karlie's birthday. They only had one yard left so I wanted to use it for the yoke of this Tessuti Alice top. I had this gorgeous crossweave linen rayon in my stash but the combo just wasn't doing it for me. I happened upon some black and white ikat cotton napkins at World Market and inspiration struck. I used two napkins for the yokes of this pattern. It may not be any cheaper than buying yardage, but I felt pretty clever. The black and white ikat was the perfect pair with this luscious teal linen blend. You can't really tell in pictures but the linen is almost iridecent. Thanks to the rayon content and cross weave, it shimmers and changes color in the light. The Loominous is destined for another pattern, but it got me to this happy place.

Meet Alice, isn't she great?!
 Tessuti Alice TopTessuti Alice Top Tessuti Alice Top Tessuti Alice Top Tessuti Alice Top

I made the XS and eliminated two whole inches from both the center front and center back. Even with that amount removed this top is still very roomy. I think next time I would cut an XXS, so just beware. This top is quite long as well, I probably chopped off about four inches from the hemline. Alice hangs a little low in the armholes for my taste, but not enough to stop me from enjoying wearing her. I always need to take tops and bodices up at the shoulders and I did not adjust for that here. Overall I am thrilled with this pattern and will definitely make it again. I think it is a great way to highlight a special piece of fabric in the yoke. Needless to say I am pretty pleased with myself. It feels good to be on a sewing roll and to have an ever growing handmade wardrobe!

2 comments:

Reid said...

Looks great... thinking I would like this pattern... but love your combination.

Ashley said...

It is a really great pattern, and super easy to put together. I think the dress version is cute too, though I'm not sure it will work for me.