Here is my new favorite dress, made with the African wax print that I picked up in NY. I only bought one yard of the print and knew I wanted to use a solid with it to really show it off. I found a Robert Kaufman Linen Cotton denim at a local shop and it is such lovely fabric. I'm really happy with how this dress came together.
I used Simplicity 1651, a Project Runway pattern. I did a muslin for the bodice, though I still took it up quite a bit at the shoulders. That caused me to have to trim the armholes down some and I think I went a little too far. I always have a hard time picturing where they will end up after the seam allowance is taken away. I fully lined the bodice with bemberg rayon, and that was a little more tricky than the way the pattern has you do it. It took some thinking and a little hand sewing to finish it up. I used this technique for lining a sleeveless dress, a new and awesome one for me!
I love how the details in the bodice, with the twist and peekaboo portion. I think the linen really frames the African print and makes it pop. The simplicity of this pattern allows the print to not be too overwhelming. I wore this with a black cropped cardigan but have since found a perfect rusty red knit fabric and intend to try to copy that caridgan. I love the dress with this thrifted belt and my new Miz Mooz shoes that I got in New York. I felt so put together in this ensemble and I rarely feel that way.
I wore this to a sewing expo that mom and I went to when she was in town. The best compliment was from a girl running the local quilt shop booth. She asked if I made it and I said yes, but then she told me it didn't look like I made it. I love it when a sewing project comes together so well!