Friday, February 1, 2019

Pattern Release: Off Color Tunic

I am so excited to finally be able to share the Off Color Tunic, a brand new pattern from Sew and Tell Patterns  that I was a pattern tester for last Fall.
  Off color tunic

This pattern is written for woven fabrics, but the designer gave me the go ahead to test it out in knits. I used a cotton knit with minimal stretch that I dyed with turmeric (my first try at that) and some leftover Leah Duncan knit from my Plantain Tee.

Off color tunic

Off color tunic

The pattern has a ton of ease. I made the XS and it measures 49" at the bust. That is the smallest size available. For my next version I plan to make a longer dress length in woven fabrics but I think I will take it up at the shoulder seam. You can see above that the armhole is quite wide and if you look straight in you can see my bra. This version is for lounging at home, so that is ok but on a dress I will need to alter that. I also have plans to add pockets to the angled front seams on my dress version.

Off color tunic

I love the style lines of this pattern. It is a clever design where the back pattern piece wraps around to the front. I like the kimono sleeves with cuffs and the option to do so many variations with color blocking.

Off color tunic

I love the graphics and thought that have been put into the virtual packaging by this designer. I feel like her branding is very strong and it makes the pattern instructions more fun than I am used to. This particular pattern has three versions, allowing you to color block the front only like I did, or the front and back, or to do a solid tunic.

Off color tunic

Fair warning, this pattern takes up a ton of paper, 56 pages to be exact. I think it could have saved a lot of space by having the solid back and front options cut on the fold. Regrettably I re-printed the final draft to see what changes were made. Lengthen and shorten lines were added, a feature which I am happy to see but I don't think anything was changed in the drafting. I do plan to lengthen my next version and while I'm sure the lines will be helpful there is nothing in the instructions about how to do so across all the angled pieces. I will definitely have to experiment with that. I would consider this tunic an intermediate pattern even though the style lines are pretty simple.

Jen has offered a 20% discount off of her new patterns from February 1-7 with the code MINDFULMAKER20

No comments: