Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Honey Cowl and Plantain Tee

Frank took these pictures of me about two and a half weeks ago when there was snow on the ground. Yesterday it was 85 degrees. I think we skipped from Winter to Summer here. Where are my 60 degree perfect Spring days?!

 Plantain tee and honey cowl

I started this Honey Cowl in a fit of motivation last November. My longest time friend Gretchen's birthday is 6 days after mine and I thought, "I will knit her something for her birthday, and I will start it about a week before her birthday". Being the slooooowest knitter ever I finished this a few weeks ago and finally got it in the mail last week. Luckily she lives in Maryland and it is still cold enough for her to get some wear out of it up there.

Isn't the yarn gorgeous?! It is Madeline Tosh Vintage and I am lucky enough to live in the city that Madeline Tosh is created in and they have a craft store down the street from me! Their colors are so lush and lovely, and this pattern really highlights the subtle changes in the dye.  I am totally wanting to make myself one of these now.  I better get started now for next winter. Seriously, I just finished a scarf that I started knitting over two years ago for myself. Granted, I only worked on it in spurts and it was much larger than this one.

Plantain tee and honey cowl

This tee is made with the Deer and Doe Plantain pattern. It is a free pattern and I love it. I have made two other variations on it and altered this one slightly as well. I have yet to make it up straight from the pattern as drafted, actually. For this version I was inspired by Mad Mims' Flyaway Tee. Instead of adding a gathered section in the back I slashed and spread the bottom section at the back, though I love this shirt my alteration didn't add quite the amount of drama and volume that I was hoping for. Good thing this is an easy pattern to throw together and a perfect basic wardrobe staple. I will definitely make many more versions of this top!

Plantain tee and honey cowl

I am almost finished with a slightly more complex project, the Mona Jacket from Schnittchen. I can't remember how I found her patterns but I really love them and they are quite affordable. I am trying to balance my sewing with an easy and quick project and a more complex one after, or at the same time. I am having fun with sewing again and am super motivated lately.

No comments: