Monday, December 23, 2019

McCalls 7596, My Artsy Caftan

McCalls 7596 McCalls 7596 McCalls 7596 McCalls 7596 McCalls 7596 McCalls 7596

What, a blog post? I'm not sure I remember how to do this, but this garment felt like it deserved more attention than a little old Instagram post would give it. This piece feels very special and like a fully formed expression of my creative pursuit. I dyed the rayon challis last year with my mom. I intended it for a maxi shirt dress but it just felt too loud for a full body covering. When we were planning our camping trip to Santa Fe this Fall I decided I needed a last minute swim cover up  and this one came together quite quickly. I finished everything but hand stitching the facing before our trip and took my needle and thread along to do that at camp. I had grand notions of photographing this at Ojo Caliente  hot springs in front of some gorgeous red rocks, wouldn't that have been stunning?! Well, we didn't make it to Ojo and the hand stitching only recently got completed at home. Good news is this is a perfect house dress, swim cover up and might possibly even get worn out as a dress at some point. And, I love this thing so much! I love the way the simple silhouette drapes so elegantly, especially in these divine fabrics.

I made a size Small and the pattern is Mccalls 7596. The rayon challis is from Dharma Trading, the Cedarwood Safia Twill is from Matchpoint fabric (I may have to order some more of that one) and the teal rayon linen blend is leftover from my Alice Top. The only modification that I made was re-drafting the front curved yoke to allow for color blocking. This pattern is super easy and comes together very quickly, I highly recommend it!

No comments: