Tuesday, May 17, 2011

My First (finished) Quilt

I am so excited to finally get to share this with you. I gave this baby quilt to my friend Halie yesterday at her baby shower. She is having a boy and I chose fabrics and a pattern that are modern and not too baby-ish. I knew Halie's taste, and being similar to mine I figured I could come up with something that she would love. I think I was successful!
This is a gift for a friend

I made this at my parent's house under mom's guidance, but with minimal help. Mom did do some of the quilting, some repairs and the binding. I designed and pieced the quilt and quilted the straight lines on mom's awesome Bernina sewing machine (which I hope to inherit someday). I had a hard time letting this baby go, truth be told, because I love it so much!

This is a gift for a friend

That backing fabric is by Kate Spain for Moda and is called Central Park Zoo. It is the only baby-ish thing about this quilt and I am absolutely in love with this fabric, so cute.

Halie spent time in Japan teaching English, so I used several Japanese fabrics, including a fun sushi print.

This is a gift for a friend

Mom did the squiggly quilting and I did the straight lines. Once again, a big thanks to mom for fabrics, guidance and help. She really is the best.
Now I need to finish the quilt that I started for us earlier this year!

Oh, and apparently this type of quilt pattern is called a Chinese Coin Quilt. I was inspired by Soule Mama, but didn't use a pattern, well I made my own really. It is oh so simple, and I think very striking, allowing the colors to take center stage.

4 comments:

Kari Stringer + CeRee Hellums said...

It's beautiful Ashley! Great Job!!

Ode to Beatha said...

That's awesome Ashley! I really love it, love the big grey strips balancing the patterns. Beautiful.

Karen said...

I'm so impressed! Such a lovely, thoughtful piece.

Ashley said...

Thanks Ladies!