Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Homemade Soft Pretzlels

I have had a bee in my bonnet for some time about making homemade soft pretzels. Of course Frank was on board with that plan and we finally did it on Saturday. After my bagel making experiments I wasn't quite sure how the pretzels would turn out. I googled for a recipe and decided on Alton Brown's highly rated one. We were not disappointed!

I made the dough in the stand mixer, easy peasy.

Like bagels, you boil the formed pretzels in water with baking soda. This process seemed much easier for some reason, maybe because I didn't have to use a floured kitchen towel? Also, this dough only required the one original rising. Once I formed the pretzels I boiled immediately. With the bagels the dough rose, then the balls rose and then the formed bagels needed to rise. This process was much quicker. Oh yeah, and there was no water in the oven for steam.

After boiling I brushed the pretzels with egg wash and sprinkled with sea salt.

And VoilĂ , they turned out perfectly!

We had them with our current favorite beer, Abbey from New Belgium. I also made cheese fondue on the stove (I have never wanted a fondue pot until now) and we also had bratwurst with them.


I will most definitely be making this recipe again!

No comments: