Sunday, March 10, 2019

Simplicity 1318 Times Two

Back in the Fall I placed an order with Stone Mountain Fabrics during a sale. I had my eye on a certain Ikat for a while but by the time I ordered it there was none left. They have the best customer service and offered to sell me another Ikat at the same sale price so I ended up with this gorgeous blue and white fabric from India. I only ordered a yard and a half but was able to squeeze this Haori style jacket out of that yardage.

Simplicity 1318

Simplicity 1318

I started this project back before Christmas and on a whim I tried out Hong Kong seam binding with this bright fuchsia silk dupoini. This fabric was originally a pair of pants that my mom thrifted and this is the second piece that I have used it in for bias binding. My Papercut Flutter Blouse has a bit of bright contrast too thanks to those thrifted pants.

Simplicity 1318

Even though the pop of color was super satisfying to me, I lost steam on this make for a while. I was kicking myself for taking such a simple sew and making it so much more labor intensive. In the end I am glad I did. Even though you don't see it from the outside, look how beautiful the guts of this little jacket are! Plus I challenged myself and learned a new technique. Since I prefer simple silhouettes I really think elevating my construction is where the challenge lies in sewing for me. If you are interested in learning how to bind your seams in this way Colette has a tutorial on Hong Kong Finish.

Simplicity 1318

Those colors together make me so happy! Speaking of Happy Colors, are you following the #sewhappycolor challenge that Katie Kortman is hosting? Super bright colors are not always my cup of tea these days (besides these small doses), but this challenge got me inspired. I dyed fabric, cut a pattern and sewed a top all in one week. For a slow maker and procrastinator like me that is a big deal.

Simplicity 1318

Speaking of procrastinating, my oldest friend Gretchen has a birthday six days after mine. She gives the best gifts, always something handmade and like a box of treasures and goodies. I was stumped last year on what to make her. I had planned to dye some fabric and make her a caftan. But I was too wishy washy on color and pattern and how to dye the fabric. Too much pressure, I guess, creating for such a talented woman. Eventually I showed her my ikat jacket and she wanted me to make her the same pattern out of this beautiful Kokka double gauze.

Simplicity 1318

Simplicity 1318

I dyed a little bit of lightweight cotton in a bright yellow for the facings to give it a pop of color and contrast. I also squeezed this version out of 1.5 yards.

Simplicity 1318

I made my own tag because I don't like the ones that I had made. I need to come up with something that I really love.

Simplicity 1318

Pattern: Simplicity 1318

View: B

Size: XS

Alterations:
Cut the back pattern piece on the fold.
Leave off the bands on the sleeves.
Shorten body and sleeves in order cut from 1.5 yards.

No comments: