Sunday, August 5, 2018

My Perfect Summer Dress

Indigo Jessica Dress

This fabric had a long journey, but clearly it is now living it's best life as the Jessica Dress, aka the perfect Summer dress. I dyed this silk noil four summers ago with my mom. I was inspired by Sallie Oh's silk painting, but hated what I had done to this fabric. My mom used thiox to remove the dye for me and then the fabric sat unloved in its (almost) natural state for some time. I'm not sure where the inspiration struck, but it did, and I knew what to do with it. Mom helped me fold and clamp the fabric with a million clothes pins, ok two packages from target. Then it sat for a while until I refreshed my indigo vat. I never, ever dip my indigo enough times, it seems I'll never learn. At first I was disappointed when it was rinsed and dried and was much lighter than I had envisioned. But now I love the muted, vintage feel that this fabric has.

Indigo Jessica Dress

If you haven't tried the Jessica Dress pattern from Mimi G, you really should. It is a straightforward and easy make with such a cute result. Right after I cut out this pattern, I realized that I forgot to make a muslin. I was just too excited to get started and had a plan to wear this out on a date with my husband. No worries, the XS fit me perfectly, my only alteration was to shorten the straps by about an inch and a half. I only had two yards of this fabric and really had to puzzle out the pattern pieces. I always forget that folded shibori creates such a unique pattern. I really wanted the darker blues down the center and luckily it worked out with the amount of fabric I had.

Indigo Jessica Dress

This was my first time sewing with silk noil, though I have a tank top that I cut out so long ago that I don't even like the pattern or color of the silk anymore. I need to alter and dye it because I adore this fabric now. It reminds me of an old terry cloth towel, but in a good way. By the way, Dharma Trading is a great source for undyed fabrics if you are interested in dyeing your own.

Indigo Jessica Dress

I ended up omitting the big patch pockets on this version. I sure do love the look, but the dye pattern of my fabric wasn't working for me with them. There are also no markings for where to place the pockets and I was having a hard time getting them lined up to drape properly with the skirt. My next version will have them for sure. I think next time I will fully line the bodice as well. I don't really mind the facings but a full lining would give it a much cleaner finish. The only other change I would make is to turn the button holes horizontally on the bodice to help with the pulling.

Indigo Jessica Dress

How perfect are these buttons that I found on clearance at Joann?! I found two sets but needed another. A sweet lady walked up and said, "is this what you're looking for?". She had a baby dress that she had made 49 years ago and was looking for new buttons to put on it. These weren't what she wanted and she gave me the set that she didn't need. It totally made my day!

Indigo Jessica Dress

Big thanks to Mimi G for sharing this pattern with the world. I made it and wore it out on our date and felt super cute and confident. It is definitely my perfect summer dress.

No comments: