Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Button Down Flannel

I finished this button down flannel just in time for one of our (hopefully) last cold days. I'm insanely proud of this thing. Plaid matching is hard! Mine isn't perfect but its pretty good for a first try. This top is cozy and warm and was perfect for our outing to the Amon Carter on Sunday. Flannel Button down

The wind was crazy and we were laughing because it was so cold. I told Frank he has to suffer for my craft too. Look at my bangs, they are airborne!

Flannel Button down

The flannel is from Joann, I snapped it up right away when I saw it. I think oranges, and especially red-orange and coral, are becoming some of my favorite colors to wear. The pattern is McCalls 6649, which I would never have picked from the photo, but I liked the design when I looked at the line drawings. The fit isn't perfect but it is close. I cut a size 12 and only took it in slightly under the arm holes. The darts in the front and back give it a little shape. I made view C without all the hideous patchwork stuff going on. The sleeves are a tad long but not terribly annoying. Flannel Button down

This is one of those tedious projects that I got tired of really fast. I'm so glad I persevered. I think I completed 3 knit projects in the process of this top. It definitely fits into my wardrobe well. I have been wearing button downs more lately and always have a shortage of long sleeve tops. I don't know if I would do this to myself again though. I'm liking quicker projects more and more. I guess it is good to switch back and forth between something more challenging and something quick and satisfying. I really am on a roll this year with completed garments that I actually wear. I hope I didn't just jinx myself.
 Flannel Button down
By the way, the Amon Carter was the perfect place to be on a cold day.  We went for the Art and Appetite exhibit but saw so much more.  There were exhibits of lithographs by June Wayne, relief prints by Posada and my favorite was striking photos from Subways by Kathy Sherman.  The Amon Carter is always free to the public and is much larger than I remembered.  I'm embarrassed to say that we hadn't been in years. We really have been missing out on wonderful things at our museums and have set about to remedy that this year. 

No comments: