Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Impromptu Indigo Dyeing with Mom

I went up to my parent's house to help them pack up some stuff yesterday. They are in the process of moving to Wimberley and I am both sad for them to go and happy for them to live in the Hill Country. We were working on mom's sewing room and attempting to organize and pack what she didn't need for the next few weeks.

I showed her this shirt on pinterest. She said it was dyed with indigo, a dye that she had recently used and experimented with and so we had an impromtu indigo dye session late yesterday evening.
Source: ofakind.com via Ashley on Pinterest

A sample that mom already had dyed. Indigo dyeing with mom

Indigo is from a plant. I don't know much about how it works but it was a really interesting process. The dye bath looks green and the fabric comes out green but then oxidizes to the gorgeous indigo blue. There is thiox in the mix, which is a color remover and you can put fabrics with color in the dye and they will retain some of their original color.  We wrapped and tied this piece of silk charmuese around a pvc pipe and dipped it in the dye bath several times. We unwrapped and ended up re-wrapping it to get more color. Indigo dyeing with mom

See how the fabric looks slightly green before it oxidizes? Indigo dyeing with mom

The end result with the silk. I think I will make a top from this one.
Thanks for the gorgeous fabric mom! 
Indigo dyed silk




























For the cotton we folded it accordion style and then folded the other way and clamped it together with pieces of plexi glass and rubber bands. I'm thinking pillow covers with this one.Indigo dyed cotton

A recent sunset over downtown Fort Worth that reminds me of the pattern on my indigo dyed silk. Sunset over Fort Worth By the way, is anyone else having trouble with the "new" blogger? Something switched over a couple of days ago and I am having so much trouble positioning photos and text where I want it. I had no problems with the old version, so I'm not sure what is going on. I'm off to the dmv and I'm not too excited about that. I'm rewarding myself with some thrift shop shopping after.

1 comment:

Valerie A. Heck Esmont said...

I love the fabrics you and your mom dyed, beautiful, you should look up moontide dyers, I have one of their dresses and they dye clothing very simply and beautifully.
I am having trouble with blogger. I can't center my text. I did have to download google chrome to make the use of the new blogger easier. Goodluck!