Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Ikebana Tablescape

I have been craving flowers for the house lately.  Most days at work I make up simple arrangements in my head while staring at the floral department.  I always talk myself out of buying flowers at the end of the day.

I needed something on the dining table and snagged a little quince branch yesterday.
It's probably not truly Ikebana, but the simplicity of this little "arrangement" reminds me of that and I truly love it.  I swore I had a flower frog somewhere, but haven't located it, so I just set the branch in a little ceramic bowl and it worked.

Table scape

My Ikebana Quince branch is keeping my gorgeous new table runner that Gretchen made me for Christmas company.

Table scape

Table scape

Table scape

Table scape

I had a boyfriend in college who was Buddhist and had either studied, or more likely absorbed via his mother the art of Ikebana.  I would come home to unusual arrangements of flowers, or branches in my room.  It was very sweet, but comical because he had always clipped them out of some unsuspecting neighbor's yard without asking.  The rule follower in me was wary, but I enjoyed the arrangements none the less.  I broke my rule yesterday and snagged this little guy from someones yard.  I hope they didn't see me and I know they won't notice it missing.  I made myself laugh thinking of Henry and his Ikebana arrangements.

Speaking of the floral department at work, I am going to be helping them out on Friday morning and am so excited.  They need extra help leading up to Valentines and I'm hoping that I can get more time in.

1 comment:

Connie Akers said...

Sweet. Your Henry story made me chuckle. I've been needing flowers too. Miss you guys & hope we get to do stock show with Ms. K