Thursday, October 20, 2011

Cupcake Quest

I'm slightly obsessive, I'll admit that. I'm on a quest for a perfect birthday cake flavor combo. This is for my upcoming birthday, so I'm being a bit indulgent on top of obsessive. I love to bake, so it's not hard to see why I would want to bake my own birthday dessert. I have favorite recipes for Carrot Cake and Tres Leches Cake and those have been the birthday go to's for family and friends. I was wanting something different. After the Salted Caramel Ice cream with chocolate cake for an August birthday I am digging that flavor combo. I thought about the Sweet and Salty cake from the Baked Cookbook (which I have), but thought cupcakes would be easier. I'm not sure that's true but I'm going with it. So I obsessed some more and thought about this recipe  for caramel filled chocolate cupcakes, but it seemed like too much work. I settled on Chocolate Ganache Filled Cupcakes with Salted Caramel Frosting and I tested the recipes yesterday. We had company coming, and were going over to a friends house so I figured that was a good time to make cupcakes and not have them sitting around here tempting me.

Four people, including myself will vouch for their awesomeness!
Chocolate Ganache filled chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

This was my first time frosting something will a frosting tip.  I bought the huge 1M wilton star tip.  A lady at Joann told me I could use that and the coupler with a ziplock bag.  It worked, but not perfectly, I still want to invest in some pastry bags.  Check out this post on Glorious Treats for Cupcake frosting how to info.  Isn't that picture so pretty?!
Chocolate Ganache filled chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

The Ganache settled to the bottom, you can kind of see it here.
It also sort of melds in with the cupcake making it super moist. 
Chocolate Ganache filled chocolate cupcakes with salted caramel frosting

I think these cupcakes would go great with lots of different flavors of icing.  Strawberry, raspberry, coffee, cinnamon, almond, peanut butter, mint, coconut, etc, etc.  You could even add flavoring to the ganache, I think.  I'll have to experiment some more.

I'm using pinterest to keep track of recipes, among other things. I love it, it really makes bookmarking things so much easier. I'm totally a visual person, so it works for me.

Painted nails

On a side note I was goofing around at CVS last night with the nail polish.  I never paint my nails, but am considering it now.  I need to take better care of my hands.  They get so beat up with gardening and jewelry.  I trimmed my cuticles and put lotion on but they are still rough.  I need to take an Omega 3 supplement, I know that would help my skin out a lot.

1 comment:

J said...

While ziplcok bags work, I actually prefer the plastic disposable icing bags for icing. They're not as environmentally friendly, but the reusable ones can be a pain to clean properly, and if you are making something with more than one colour of icing a few couplers and disposable bags allow you to work with fewer tips, as you can just switch the tips.......