Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Homemade Ricotta and Flatbreads with Honey.....Or Yum!

I had some leftover whole milk and heavy cream from making Ice Cream and was inspired to make homemade Ricotta Cheese. I had seen recipes pop up in magazines and on blogs recently but only remembered this one from Smitten Kitchen. I love that blog and she never steers me wrong.
I didn't have quite enough milk and cream for the full recipe, and attempted to adjust accordingly.  However, I think I ended up with more lemon juice proportionately and it was a bit too lemony.  I also added a tad too much salt, but once it was served with other ingredients that wasn't noticeable.  I will definitely be making this again, and couldn't believe how easy it was.  Seriously about 5 minutes of active work in the kitchen.  You can't beat that!


I made these flatbreads, also from Smitten Kitchen, to serve with the Ricotta.  I left out the cheese, salt and thyme just making them plain for this purpose.  They didn't last long, but were delicious the first and second day.  After that they tasted stale and I tossed the rest.  I would probably freeze leftovers next time and I'm sure they would take no time to thaw.


Honey and Ricotta on Flatbreads, seriously to die for.
Honey, Homemade Ricotta and Flatbread

I stocked up on organic whole milk at Central Market, taking advantage of their Moo Monday special. You get three half gallons for $6 when you spend $25. So more ricotta and ice cream will be made around here. I have to join a gym, or get out and enjoy this gorgeous weather and work it all off!

Have I mentioned that I want a new camera?  I know my hipstamatic images of food aren't always the most appetizing.  I adore the photography over at Smitten Kitchen and reading her info on her camera equipment has me seriously jonesing for a DSLR.  Another favorite blogger, Alicia of Posy gets Cozy just started using one and her photos are amazing as well.  I know, I know having a fancy camera does not make a good photographer, but I have some skills already and definitely have an interest in photography, plus I have to photograph my jewelry.  I'm talking myself into it, aren't I?!

1 comment:

Karen said...

OOh I hope Santa brings you a new camera for Christmas :) And the new research says dairy with fat is better for you than skim. Your ricotta sounds delicious.