Monday, August 22, 2011

Is Summer Over Yet?

My Datura is Surviving and thriving in this crazy heat, but I'm no sure I am.
Surviving the drought

Yesterday morning I was sitting in the living room with the back door open.  The Wrens that make our back yard home were active and chirping, the Squirrel who is not scared of us was collecting pecans and I noticed my Datura blooming.  My poor garden is sorely neglected.  It was beautiful this spring, but with the crazy summer we have had it is really looking pathetic.  I try to water a bit here and there but just can't keep it all looking good.  I couldn't believe that this plant was blooming!  It made me smile.

Lucy admiring our coins

Another thing making me smile is this pile of coins that Lucy is admiring.  I mentioned to my dad that I was saving my pennies for a used flex shaft and he sent over a huge coin jar that they had been saving up.  Isn't that so sweet?!  My parents really are too good to me. 
I will be getting my flex shaft soon now!  Thanks mom and dad. 

Mom and I did our crafty shopping on Friday and I am freaking out on how cute Karlie's present is going to be.  Can't wait to share.

I survived my first Hatch Festival weekend at Central Market. 
Hatch Fest is all things Hatch Chiles, which come from Hatch, New Mexico.
There are:
Hatch Brownies
Hatch Tortillas
Hatch Coffee
Hatch Cheese
Hatch Burgers
Hatch Scones
Hatch Foccacia
Hatch Chicken Salad
And on and on and on!
There are lots of good things to taste and the store was NUTS this weekend!
I could have slept all day today but have to catch up on my etsy orders and work this afternoon.

One side effect of working at a grocery store is that I don't want to do my own grocery shopping.  When I get off work I just want to go straight home and put my sore feet up.  I'm sure I will get used to it and get in the groove before long, but we have been eating out too much in the mean time and my meal planning and desire to cook have waned.  I also haven't gotten used to the odd eating times, I have mostly worked the mid shift so I eat lunch at 3:00 pm and dinner late with Frank.  Another side effect is dreaming about checking and bagging groceries all night long.  That is my least favorite side effect, and is quite frustrating.  Saturday was unbelievably busy and that night I slept poorly and dreamt about work, which was no fun.

Well, I hope you have a wonderful week!
xoxo
Ashley

1 comment:

La Alicia said...

awww, your parents are totally sweet! my plants are surviving just barely. this is a green way to keep you plants happy http://www.veggiegardener.com/watering-tomatoes-using-2-liter-sod-bottle/

I made a mini one and it works well!