Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Creamy Green Salsa: Version 2

I have attempted before to recreate this creamy HOT green salsa that I love from Pollo Regio. My previous attempt did not replicate the original but wasn't bad. In my ongoing quest to make this salsa at home I tried a new recipe. It also isn't like the original, in fact quite different, but quite delicious! This one will stay in my arsenal for sure.

Cilantro, Avocado and Green Onions

Tomatillos, Garlic and Serrano on the Stove

It's definitely green!
And delicious!

 Lucy sure thought it smelled good!
This new recipe is quite tangy from the Tomatillos.  I only used one avocado, so a second like the recipe calls for may cut down on the tanginess, but I still love it.  I also had to add a little water to get it to all blend up.  Try it, I think you will love it too!

I have done some research on the original green slasa from Pollo Regio.  There are people on forums obsessed with it like I am and they talk about theories and recipes.  I have seen mention of Aji Amarillo, a Peruvian pepper, Mayo or Crema based salsas like my last recipe, and oil blended with peppers.  So far nothing I have made comes close to the original, but I will continue my search!  Apparently the Pollo Asado in this style is from Monterrey, Mexico and is typically served with this salsa.  Anyone know what the salsa is called or how to make it?  Here is another one to try.

2 comments:

Erin @ Art+Food+Life said...

I am glad you liked it! The second avocado definitely cuts down on the tanginess, but using only one makes it less like a guacamole and more like a tomatillo salsa.

Thanks for the feature and good luck with your hunt for the perfect salsa!!

Wendy and Claudio said...

That sounds absolutely delicious!!!