Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Before and After Painted Desk


This Ethan Allen desk was originally my paternal grandparents' and went with a set of dressers. My brother had this furniture in his room growing up and the desk had been in my parents' garage for several years. When mom had a garage sale a friend of hers bought the dresser and painted it and added new drawer pulls. That got me thinking and looking more closely at the desk. I saw potential in it and decided to paint it. I looked around for new drawer pulls, but decided to paint the original ones tomato red. I like the shape of the drawer pulls and the cute feet on the desk. I'm really please with how this desk turned out!


This is the beginning of a makeover of this area in my house, which will be my new office. This is the front room and my studio is on the left side of the room out of view here. This space around the non-working fireplace has never really been utilized by us. I had a chair in the front corner at one point, but no one ever sat there. I plan to paint the room to the color of the trim and desk. The space above the mantle and shelves may be a different color, I'm thinking gray. I am mostly using pieces that I have or that my mom is giving me. I'm on a tight budget as usual, and the only new purchase may be pendant lamps for either side of the mantel.



This will be my desk chair. Frank picked it up on the side of the road years ago and I have always loved it, but am not in love with the skin colored vinyl. I'm leaning towards using this green cotton ikat to recover the chair. Keep in mind the walls will not be green anymore. What do you think of this fabric with my red drawer pulls and maroon tile on the fireplace? Frank is not sold on this fabric, but I'm crazy about it and determined to use it somewhere.

My other idea for fabric for this chair is this print
Opinions please!

5 comments:

silver.work said...

I that a spring green on your walls? Love the color - so fresh! Nothing like saving old furniture and giving it new life, hmm? Of course, I never seem to find the really good stuff . . .

Ashley said...

It is a sort of lime green that I painted on before we moved in 9 years ago. There are several colors in the house that I am tired of and that is one that will go. When I get around to painting that is...

~ Lora Hart Jewels ~ said...

What a great space Ashley! I understand about being over something - and support you in your make over, but I do love that green.

That said,Did you say what color you're painting the walls? I think you should wait for the upholstery until that is done. I like both of the prints and colors for the chair. No help I know.

I would put some shelves in the recesses by the fireplace though. Make real built-in's all the way to the ceiling.

It's fabulous. And the desk will be perfect there.

Ashley said...

Lora, the walls will actually be the same color as the desk, which is now my trim color. I think the white (its really a light, light gray) brightens up my dark spaces. There isn't a lot of natural light in that room.

Interesting idea about doing shelves all the way up!

andrea said...

OH, I like the green walls and if you did the chair in the red fabric it would be a nice compliment.

the desk turned out wonderful, i love the red handles!