Friday, May 28, 2010

Hill Country Getaway

Frank and I went down to my parents' property in Wimberley last weekend for a little break. Frank finished his first semester of college with A's and B's (yay!) and was totally in need of some rest and relaxation. Our big plans included going to Luckenbach and Fredricksburg, and floating or swimming in a river. On Friday we, along with my parents and their friends, executed the first part of that plan.

We headed west from Wimberley towards Blanco along Devil's Backbone. This is an overlook spot. Try to ignore the fence and enjoy the view.
At Luckenbach, pop. 3, there is a US Post Office, gift shop, bar and outdoor seating under magnificent oak trees where you can have a beer and enjoy some live music. This is most definitely a Texas landmark and a spot that every Texan should visit. Frank had never been and requested that we go. I had been as a child and mostly remembered people playing washers and hanging out outside.

Frank at the bar ordering some Shiner Bach




There were roosters roaming around!

Frank and I walked across the creek to check out these enormous trees.
An Oak

And a Cypress

After a beer at Luckenbach we headed on down the road to Fredricksburg. We have a favorite little spot that serves up homemade ice cream. Whenever we are in the area I have to have a scoop of Amaretto Peach Pecan. Fredricksburg is famous for its peaches, and is a cute little touristy town. There were many new shops since I had been there last, unfortunately many were closing since we got there close to 5.


The Texas Hill Country is so beautiful, and these images really don't capture the beauty. I grew up vacationing and camping in this area and I am thrilled that we now have a place to stay down there. Frank and I have said that we need to get a map of the area, draw a circle around my parents' property and mark all the swimming holes. There are four rivers just minutes away, the Blanco, San Marcos, Guadalupe and Comal. Canyon lake is just up the road, and Wimberley has Cypress creek, along which lay Blue hole and Jacob's Well. Within an hours drive there are seemingly endless more swimming holes and places to visit, and just a bit further (2.5 hrs) my favorite spot in the entire state, Garner state park and the Frio river! They are also only 45 minutes from both Austin and San Antonio.




The dogs were with us this time and behaved really well. Malta is a trooper, and though she had trouble getting up and down the stairs in my folks RV, she loves being outside. Malta has done quite a bit of camping with me in her 14 years, and I hope to take Lucy on many more trips. I was a bit worried about letting them run loose for fear of snakes. Not sure what to do about that?
In Wimberley Frank and I visited this little vintage shop that has over 500 pair of cowboy boots. The woman that owns the shop is super friendly and goes by "The Boot Wisperer". She was able to tell what size to bring me just by looking at my feet. I didn't go home with any boots, but will keep an eye on her stock for a perfect pair. I have been wanting some cowboy boots for a while, though not sure where I would wear them as I'm more of a sandals and flats kind of girl!
As for the swimming, it really wasn't quite hot enough yet. Each morning there were threats of rain in the form of clouds and gray skies. Saturday afternoon it did warm up to 90 degrees and cleared off long enough for us to go to New Braunfels and jump in the Guadalupe. There were people out tubing, which is the main attraction of the area. We headed to a park in town that proved to be too shady to really enjoy the chilly water. Mom stayed in the longest, floating down river a bit, I got up to my neck, dad stood in the water and Frank stepped in and out along with the dogs. There will be plenty of swimming in the near future when the Texas heat cranks up, so I wasn't too disappointed.

I have been absent lately from the blog. If you are wondering why, it is because I am applying for jobs. Frank plans to go to school again in the fall, and I am hoping to find a job this summer. Fingers crossed please!

3 comments:

Amy Nicole/RubyMtnBeads said...

we are heading south to the hill country next week! I can't wait!

Eve M Metalsmith said...

Come August, I'll be living in Boerne for at least a year!

I adore the hill country of Texas, it's truely beautiful and has a whole different relaxed lifestyle and feel than the rest of Texas.

Glad you had fun, great photos!

Ashley said...

Amy, have a blast! It should be great for swimming now.

Eve, I love Boerne, grew up visiting friends out there. You will enjoy living there, I'm sure.