Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Tulip Skirt, What do you think?

I made this Tulip skirt in denim from the pattern in the premiere issue of Stitch Magazine. I finished the skirt last week and now I'm not sure what I think. I started out making a larger size because I wanted the skirt to sit on my hips rather than at my waist. I am so short waisted that anything sitting on my natural waistline would look really odd (other than dresses which I like with a natural waistline). Well, at some point I decided that it was too big and took the darts in a bit. I guess at that point I wasn't taking into account that this skirt has a wide waist band. So now, the top of the skirt fits at the point where I would want the top of the waistband to sit. The waistband being wide it gaps in the back at the top. I don't think it is altogether unflattering, just different for me as I am not used to wearing things so high or tucking in shirts (can't wear a shirt over this because of the pouffyness of the pleats). Frank thinks it is unflattering altogether however. I'm also disappointed that I didn't have the foresight to add pockets to this pattern. That is something that would be worth going back and doing!

So I guess my question is, what do you think? I'm not sure there is much I can do about the fit, at least not in letting it out. Does it look okay? Should I just get used to tucking in a shirt when I wear this skirt?

1 comment:

Gretchen Schermerhorn said...

I think it is really cute! I love the pleats and the buttons down the front.