Sunday, February 21, 2010

Artisan Bread in 5 minutes a day





I think I'm late to the party on this one. I have been hearing little blurbs about 5 minute artisan bread recipes, and then noticed several books all in a row on the subject at Borders. I have been in the mood to bake bread, so today I googled "5 minute bread recipe". I came up with this one and it turned out great!

I don't think that I quite understood the instructions for shaping the dough. My loaf ended up an odd shape, after rising further in the oven. I think next time I will shape it into more of an oval before baking. It has a great crusty outer layer with a soft and yummy interior. I will definitely be making this recipe again. I did half of the recipe as written, so I have enough dough left for one more loaf. However, as small as my loaf turned out I think I could have done a full recipe and made it into two loaves instead of the four that it call for. Happy baking!

7 comments:

La Alicia said...

That looks delish! 5 minutes, really? I MUST try that!

Ashley said...

Well, it is only 5 minutes of active work, I guess. You mix it up, let it rise, bake a loaf and then have extra in the fridge for weeks. I like it!

andrea said...

That does look great!

Eve M Metalsmith said...

Ashley! I make this exact same bread, using the exact same recipe! I forgot how I found it exactly, maybe an article I read once...at any rate, I've made this at least 10 times, and is absolutely delish. The longer I leave it in the fridge, it'll get a little more of that 'sourdough-ish' flavor that is incredible. I've used it for pizza dough, and also made sort of a foccia out of it, by adding some kalamata olives and dried herbs.

Great to see a fellow bread lover, although I only make it once a month or so because I'll eat the entire loaf in one sitting, with wayyyy too much butter ;o>

Misobel (Mary) said...

Great recipe find! It looks so easy I will have to try it.

Amanda Conley said...

I'm going to give this a go today. Wish me luck!

Ashley said...

Eve, I made the second loaf and I see what you mean about being more like sourdough, yum!

Amanda, it is delicious, and you can't mess it up. Enjoy!

I checked out the book that this recipe came from and it looks great.