Friday, February 13, 2009

Shoshona Snow




I have been a big fan of Shoshona Snow's ceramic work for a long time now. Somehow though I only recently discovered her blog and flickr page. I love seeing some of her more complex pieces, and am especially enjoying her owls. Here is a description of her work and process from her etsy profile:

I'm a huge design freak and am inspired by the mid-19th century to the mid-20th century. My work has a wonderful, tactile quality...you just want to touch, touch, touch. I love clean lines and clean colors.

Most of my work is thrown on the potter's wheel, although I do some hand building as well. I use fine grolleg porcelain. The entire outside surfaces are usually painted with a black slip (liquefied clay) and carved so the white porcelain beneath it is shown. This process is called sgraffito. The work is dried slowly and fired in the kiln. It is then glazed and fired once more to 2400 degrees F. The work becomes vitrified and durable and is food safe even when not glazed.


Visit Shoshona's
Etsy Store
Blog
Flickr

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

sarawestermark said...

Gorgeous work!!! Thanks for showcasing this fabulous work.

shoshonasnow said...

Thanks Ashley! You gave the warm and fuzzies. I'm going more animals and more complex, so be on the lookout!