Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Acknowledge and Celebrate

I have finally completed my Acknowledge and Celebrate questions from Art Biz Blog. I found this thanks to Margaux Lange's Blog. After struggling to get the year going and to wrap my brain around the past year I have finally completed the task. I will post soon about my reaction to my responses and my goals for the new year.

How did you promote your art and your online presence?
I worked on posting on my blog regularly.
I joined Facebook, Twitter and CraftHaus.
I Sent out emails about sales to my mailing list.
I gave out business cards and postcards at shows.
Participated in two shows in Dallas and one in Fort Worth.
I had seven home shows, some successful, some not.
Posted new work on flickr.
Joined Ravelry (for knitters and crocheters, but links to my etsy shop)

What technological skills did you learn or improve?
Blogging! Digital Photography
Photoshop (by no means proficient, but learning)

How many people did you add to your mailing list?
Not as many as I would have liked.
I did ask people to sign my guestbook at the local shows that I did.
Added a sign up on my blog, but it never worked for me. I need to figure this out.

Who were the most cool or influential people you met?
Danielle Miller/Fellow Etsy Metal member, met in Atlanta. Danielle is extremely professional and successful, but couldn't be more open and friendly. Danielle has shared a lot of information on the business and wholesale side of the business.

Lena Echelle/I found Lena online and then met her in person at the beginning of last year. She has been extremely patient in answering all of my questions. I also learned a great deal when I accompanied her to Atlanta for her show.


Sara Westermark/Met online and then in Atlanta. Sara is one of the most generous and giving people I have ever met. Her work is lovely, she is full of energy and her enthusiasm really is contagious!

Margaux Lange/Met online. I am a huge fan, yet she is friendly and her blog is very informative. She just quit her job and is really succeeding in this business.

Lynette Andreasen/Met online, fellow Etsy metal member. Lynette's work is amazing, and her blog is also very informative.

Whom did you mentor or help out?
Didn't Mentor, but did help Lena at the Atlanta Contemporary Jewelry show.

Did you create a new business card, portfolio, or other marketing piece?
Business card, check
Wholesale Line sheet, check (but needs to be redone)

Postcards, check

Magnets, check

New Banner on Etsy, check


What medium or skill did you attempt or master?
Tube bezels Tube Rivets Polymer Clay with Silver
Trying to improve my bezel setting techniques

What did you try that was completely new?
Making Tube Bezels
Working with Polymer Clay
My first prong setting

What did you try that was uncomfortable, but helped you grow?
Approaching galleries about consignment.
Quit my job!

What worthy cause did you support in some way?
I didn't, this is a goal for the new year.

What new art events, galleries, and museums did you visit?
Center for Contemporary Craft, Houston
Houston Museum of fine arts-Ornament as Art jewelry show

Haven Gallery, Austin
Midnight at the Modern, Fort Worth Modern art Museum

Art 251, Keller

Oxide Gallery, Denton-Grand Opening Night

Carlyn Gallery, Dallas

Southwest Center for Arts and Crafts, San Antonio

Fiesta, San Antonio
Atlanta Contemporary Jewelry Show

What resources did you discover?
Tons!
My fellow Etsy Metal members are my biggest resource and help answer many of my questions.

How did you improve your studio habits?
Stayed on Schedule for the most part.

What books did you read to help your career? What videos or films were useful?
Discovered you tube jewelry how-to videos posted by Art Jewelry Magazine
I'd Rather be in the Studio by Alyson Stanfield
And her Art Biz Blog

What seminars/workshops/lectures did you attend or teach?
None, unfortunately
Hoped to go to Penland but didn't get financial aid.

How did you enhance your office or studio environment?
Large calendar for deadlines
Added another bulletin board
File cabinet, try to keep up with filing

What organizations were you involved with?
Etsy Metal

What grants/honors/awards did you receive?
Got into the Fiesta Fine Arts Fair in San Antonio for this spring!

What articles were written about your work?
Interview on Indie, Pretty, Perfect Blog
Spotlight on 18K blog
Mention on The Carrotbox Blog
Interview for Pegasus News, and online, local newspaper

What exhibits, grants, contest, etc. did you submit your art to?
Scholarship and work study at Penland Scholarship at Revere Academy Lark Books 500 Gemstone Jewels Craft Texas 2008
Fiesta San Antonio
Art on the square, Southlake
Texas Metal Arts Festival

Where did you save a wad of money?
Dad made me a hydraulic press!

What was the single best thing that happened to your art career in 2008?
Quitting my job to work full time on jewelry!
Bookmark and Share


2 comments:

Danielle Miller-Gilliam said...

Ashley, I'm blushing! Thank you for such kind words! Congrats on all your accomplishments....you did SOOOO much! Wishing you a successful 2009!

Ashley said...

Thanks Danielle, I really was thrilled to get to meet you and see your work in person. We are so lucky to have you in Etsy Metal!